Since I’m eating a piece right now, I thought I’d share one of my favorite, diet-friendly recipes. This one was introduced to me by one of my incredibly health-conscious and fit friends. It is inspired in large part by this slimpalate recipe, but the recipe below includes my substitutions and changes.
You will need
- 1/2 c coconut flour
- 1/2 c almond flour
- 3 bananas (the riper, the better)
- 1/2 c applesauce (or one snack pack)
- 1/4 c organic maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 c crushed walnut pieces
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a loaf pan with butter; place a piece of parchment paper just covering the bottom of the pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the coconut and almond flours, cinnamon, baking soda, and pinch of salt; mix with a fork to evenly combine and reduce any clumps.
- In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, vanilla, and syrup. Add the mashed banana and mix until well combined, then toss in your nuts. Feel free to use more or less nuts based on your preference, keeping in mind that nuts – while full of good healthy fats – are high in calories.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until well combined, then add your applesauce and continue to mix.
- Pour the batter in your greased loaf pan and smooth.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean, then remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- After the initial cooling period, run a knife around the edge of the pan to free up any sticky spots, flip onto a cooling rack or a cutting board and let cool for another 15 minutes or so, then grab a fork and dig in!
Following the recipe exactly and creating 12 slices of bread, each slice will be about 150 calories, perfect for breakfast, a mid-day snack, or to quench those sweet dessert cravings.